EPP 3.5, WP 2.7, Communicating with PayPal

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:16 AM
I have installed the latest version of EPP 3.5 and I am using WP 2.7, with the Arthemia Premium Theme at http://solutionsjournal.com

Everything seems to work great up to a point. EPP sends the potential subscriber off to PayPal to make a payment. After the payment, they are sent back to the site, but are not given subscriber status by EPP. I do not believe that EPP is receiving word from PayPal that this person has paid, and thus deeming them only a registered user.

The subscriber sees only a gray box rerouting them back to PayPal to make a payment each time they log in, even though they have actually made a payment.

Any suggestions and or help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Hood
Solutions Journal Magazine
http://solutionsjournal.com
Jan 21, 2009 at 5:06 AM
@BillHood

I'm referencing those two threads since they contain information relevant to your problems.  ;)  From one of those prior threads, it sounds like you tried EPPv2.3, EPPv2.3 with my changes to work with WPv2.7, EPPv3.5, and EPPv3.51.

Since Shanon is probably our resident expert on the topic and you said he worked on your site, what did he have to say about your problems?

Off the cuff, it sounds like you might have the most success with EPPv3.2 - modified to address some of your concerns like e-mail notifications.  I've had pretty good success with modifying EPPv3.2 and its IPN processor for my own site.

Good luck,

PDR

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:51 AM
A little confusion here.... Is it EPPv2.3 or EPPv3.2? I moved back to EPPv3.2 and attempted to make the changes that you gave in a previous post, but WP crashed with the second mod and de-installed the plug-in. I tried several times and when it kept happening, I decided that I didn't understand exactly where to place the "}" (without the brackets, of course). See below:
  1. On line 351 (or thereabouts), you should be at the second to last line in the function "EasyPayPalButton_the_content".
  2. Locate the line "return $text;"
  3. Just before this line, insert the following code (ignore quotes):     "}"
I placed the "}" on the line immediately prior to the line that read, "return$text;" If you could give a snippit of code showing the exact location of the code, perhaps I might understand better.

I really appreciate the help here, PDR. To give selfishly is one of mankind's greatest traits and will stead people well in life.

I will be working at a tradeshow in California for a the next few days and will only be able to check in late at night. I only say this, as on another thread, people became worried when I did not answer at the speed of light. We have become so used to immediciency that we cannot wait even one day for a reply online.

Bill Hood
Jan 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM
As an afterthought, since I have to turn on IPN at PayPal, to which page should the IPN be directed at the site to assure that the information is processed?

Bill Hood
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:32 PM
@BillHood,

Looks like Shannon addressed some of your problems and diagnosed them as possibly stemming from your server.  Two suggestions:
1) Get some additional server space, its cheap.  See if you still have problems. If not, migrate to the new server.
2) Get or borrow additional server space.  Then, route your PayPal IPN communications to the other server.  Let that server send out the necessary notifications and then send out another notification to your EPP installation.

Both of these are somewhat technical fixes, but each might help you out.

Good luck,

PDR
Jan 22, 2009 at 6:46 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2009 at 6:46 AM
PDR, I have over 300 websites scattered over six different servers in different parts of the world. I have the server space, but this does not fully answer the question as to why this app does not work. The problem seems to be between the return from PayPal and EPP, i.e. the communication.

Again, does anyone know what the return IP should be at the IPN configuration at PayPal?

Bill Hood
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM
@BillHood,
  1. Short answer: No. 
  2. Longer answer: There is no return IP setting.  There is a return URL setting, but I sincerely doubt that's your problem.
  3. More detailed answer:  No one knows and there's really no way for anyone here to help you out unless you perform a few remedial tests.  There are many variables, no?  I could see a situation where a perfect storm of finicky webhost, quirky server, etc, and whatnot could cause it to not work on just one server and just one website. 
    1. For this reason, I suggested trying the program out on a different server.  If you don't do that you'll never know if you have a larger problem.
    2. That said, EPP works for a lot of people, myself included, even with the IPN - so the program can't be critically flawed.  PayPal still works for people, so it can't be that.  The two work together with WP for many people - so it may not be that.  Shanon Whitely himself tried it get it to work with his own PP account without success and suggested a course of action for you.  
    3. You may find more success with another product.  It is my understanding WP-Member.com has redeveloped its plugin to work across multiple domains and websites.  Perhaps this is the kind of solution you may find useful?
Try the following:
  1. Try to get EPP and WP to work for you on another server.  If that doesn't work, you know the problem is at your server.
  2. Ask your current webhost for an explanation.  Maybe this is a common problem.
  3. Consider another product.
Regards,

PDR