[pay] and [paybutton] conflict

May 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Hello. I have found your plugin to be one of the best available to manage content subscriptions. However, I use both the [pay] and [paybutton] codes. This causes a problem as users who signed up for a free account so that they could view the [pay] content are now being referred to paypal to pay a subscription.

Is there any way to work around this or is it an "either or" situation.

Many thanks for you help

Dave
May 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM
Edited May 25, 2008 at 4:53 PM
Hi, that's what I thought this plugin was for. :(

I've tried PayBox, but could never get that to work, and I've tried several others but this one seemed to be the best. If I could allow members to register for free to access free content, and just use the pay tags to force payment for certain posts, I'd be willing to contribute to this project. It has a lot of potential!
May 26, 2008 at 2:27 AM
It has a good potential, but it has some problems. The options all seem to over-ride each other. For example, I have free and paid content, but if I use this plugin for paid content, then any user that registers is sent to paypal to pay the subscription. Even if they did signup it wouldnt give them access to anything as it wouldnt know which post to assign to them. Im not keen on the "per post/page" purchase system. But when I use the "per category" option it never seems to assign them to the users after they have paid their subscription.

I have found a plugin that will cost about £38 / $70 for 10 website licenses, but it includes 1 year of support so I am seriously thinking of buying it.
May 27, 2008 at 8:26 PM
Dave mind sharing what the plugin is that you are talking about?

Anjelis if you use Easy Paypal in conjunction with WP Member it works great for what you are trying to do.
May 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Makhaira: 
I think Davis is also talking about Paybox.  I downloaded a trial copy from www.getpaybox.com, but I don't find it very easy to use or intuitive at all.  After fiddling with it a little, I think I'm going to try to make EasyPayPal work with my site instead.  You have to pay for each site, or buy a bundle of sites, from Paybox.  And in looking at its code, I'm pretty sure that all transactions are run through their server - which seems pretty unnecessary.

I think my own needs are pretty similar to both Daveisnigh and Angeljs.  I need a system that will allow users to register for free and registered paying subscribers to gain access to additional content.

- PDR
May 27, 2008 at 11:15 PM
I looked into paybox as well, but they said they didn't have a pay per post option, which is what I needed so I didn't bother looking at it further.
May 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Yes it was Paybox. It wasnt expensive and I am using it on a lot of sites. 1 years support was £10 and it was required. However, having said that you have to contact them to activate each domain. This isnt a massive task but 2 days on and I'm still waiting for a reply. It is fully set up on my first blog (but not activated) and seems great.

I was not looking for a "per post" system, I was looking for a "pay per aceess" so I can charge a subscription for access to extra areas of normal pages.
If you are looking for a per post system, then I would advise EasyPaypal as being the best I have seen. It just wasnt what I needed and I couldnt get it to work how I needed it to.
I have spare licenses now as 10 was only about £20 more than 1 and I figured I needed about 8.
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:24 PM
Back to the drawing board.

DO NOT BUY PAYBOX

The retards at GooTix.com who made PayBox have been without a programmer for 5 months now. In the 5 months they have been taking on users and hoping that the bugs they all have will go away. Yesterday the owner decided enough was enough and he listed the whole GooTix.com site and software for $20'000. In the listing he says that he has been spending a lot of time offline and will now be spending the next few months completely offline. See here: http://marketplace.sitepoint.com/auctions/37376

This is a big F*** You to all the users who are paying them and have paid them. They are still taking payments. Its a mess.

I am now looking for another similar piece of software. We are all in teh same boat so why not see how much each of us would pay and then ask S Whitley if he will do it for us.

The other option is to hack the PayBox code and why not? I checked their terms page and all it says is [Insert Terms here]. :D
Jun 2, 2008 at 5:13 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2008 at 7:56 PM
Dave:

I would agree with your recommendation to not buy PayBox / www.getpaybox.com / Gootix / gootix.com / WPBoard software. I asked, and was given, a trial site license. However, they never enabled the licenses which made it totally unusable even for evaluation purposes.

Hacking their plugin it wouldn't do you a stitch of good. Having reviewed the code in their plugin it seems that they run all transactions through their server. Their plugin is useless without the software is on their server. Moreover, the source code for just the plugin (not counting whatever is run on their server) is voluminous (354k unpacked). Even supposing their plugin worked without their server, your time would be much better spent reviewing and modifying EasyPayPal plugin to suit your needs (49k unpacked).

PDR

Edit: The author of Paybox/Gootix actually names his developer as Austin Matzko (www.ilfilosofo.com). If you just HAD to have Paybox/Gootix work, you could always contact this guy.
Jun 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM
I had read that it all goes through their server. With them selling the whole thing I think it would be pointless as I doubt the new owner would continue the work.
imagine paying $20'000 only to find out that the plugin is almost completely useless, your email inbox is filled with angry customers and everyone is demanding a refund.

He is a disgrace. I hope he gets what's coming to him.
Jun 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM
I had read that it all goes through their server. With them selling the whole thing I think it would be pointless as I doubt the new owner would continue the work.
imagine paying $20'000 only to find out that the plugin is almost completely useless, your email inbox is filled with angry customers and everyone is demanding a refund.

He is a disgrace. I hope he gets what's coming to him.
Jun 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2008 at 11:52 PM
Dave: So, I need to modify EPP to work slightly better with the needs of my own site. I need it to (1) require automatic ongoing payments (2) allow registered users to view additional pages not available to free users (3) allow paid registered users to view additional pages not available to free or free registered users (4) allow me to specify the pages to be restricted to registered or paid registered users from within the EPP plugin rather than from with the particular posts. I believe I can make some of these modifications myself (page specification from within the plugin). However, I'll likely be outsourcing the rest to a contract I know. What are your requirements? Do they differ from mine?

PDR
Jun 2, 2008 at 10:35 PM
Pretty much the same. The problem I had with EasyPayPal is that when I had free users signing up, it was sending them to make a payment.
Also, I was wanting a subscription level system. So I could allow subscribers to view all protected content. PayBox seemed to work brilliantly in this way. It just didnt work over all.

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:55 PM
Dave: Why don't you send me an e-mail and we'll see if we can collaborate on a mod of this plugin that will work for the both of us. You can send me an e-mail to any prefix you like at the domain name associated with my website, www.pdrater.com.

PDR
Jun 3, 2008 at 3:47 PM
Done, check your inbox.
Thanks
Jun 3, 2008 at 4:48 PM
Dave:  Didn't get it.  Odd.  No matter.  Your e-mail address?$0
Jun 3, 2008 at 5:04 PM
Dave:  Didn't get it.  Odd.  No matter.  Your e-mail address?$0
Jun 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM
I sent it to admin AT pdrater.com
Contact me Dave AT isnigh
Jun 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM
Dave,

I simply modified wp-login to redirect the user back to the index page after successfully login in their first time as a quick fix to prevent the redirect to Paypal. But now I have to make a subscription page where they go to and review the subscription options.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM
I saw the options for pages, but with no instructions I didnt have time to see what it did. Are there any instructions available for the new version?
Is swhitley reading this thread?
EPP is so close to what we all seem to need, we just need to make that last jump to a complete plugin.